December 9th, 2013
Weleda is an environmentally conscious brand that originated in Switzerland. We tried their Weleda Wild Rose Smoothing Facial Lotion which is all natural. It contains anti-oxidants, organic rosehip seed oil, and jojoba seed oil. The first thing we noticed was how good the product smelled. The light smell of organic roses on your face is very soothing. Since it’s an all natural product, we didn’t know how well this would do for smoothing fine lines. But this lotion exceeded our expectations. After about a week our skin was in better condition (it works wonders on pores) and fine lines appeared to be smoother. We also had a tester with sensitive skin – they were pleased to be able to use a scented product without the irritation.
Posted in Uncategorized
December 5th, 2013
Aveeno used to only offer soap, bath products, and lotion. Now their product line has extended to dozens of products. One of their newest additions, Aveeno Clear Complexion BB Cream, has the ACTIVE NATURALS Total Soy complex, minerals, and an SPF of 30. We tried it and as promised found that it gave a nice glow. It blends really well on the skin as well. But what was surprising was that it stays on all day. Once you put it on you’re set for the rest of the day. If you have oily skin you’ll need a mattifying primer or powder on top of the BB Cream. But for other skin types, this is the perfect way to do something nice for your skin while getting a little bit of coverage.
Posted in Uncategorized
December 2nd, 2013
- Glitter can help make a festive look, but when you have bright gleaming skin you don’t need it. Try mixing equal amounts of olive oil and lemon juice and gently massaging your skin for five minutes before rinsing off with warm water.
- Resist the temptation to come home and crash without removing your makeup. Keep your pores in good shape by cleansing your face well. Rub the cleanser into your skin in small circular motions for circulation, and then leave it on for a few minutes so your makeup has time to fully dissolve before rinsing.
- Trying to self-tan? It can be difficult on dry winter skin to get an even look. Not only should you exfoliate before self-tanning, also apply olive oil on rough areas like elbows so the tanner goes on smoothly.
- If you want to do a smoky eye, the best type of eyeliner to use is a kohl pencil. However, it can be annoying if the tip keeps breaking. Stop the vicious breaking and sharpening cycle by putting your pencil in the freezer for 15 minutes before using.
- You can’t put a fabulous red lipstick on dry cracked lips. Make them worthy of attention again by mixing a teaspoon of honey (to moisturize) with a pinch of sugar (to exfoliate) and rubbing with a toothbrush.
November 25th, 2013
Unfortunately, you don’t have to be pregnant to get stretch marks. We tried Mustela’s Stretch Marks Intensive Action Cream, which retails at about $42. Though more expensive than similar products at stores like Target and Ulta, it also comes up with studies to back up their claims. 96% of expectant mothers who used Stretch Marks Intensive Action did not develop stretch marks. The formula contains nourishing oils, peptides, alpha hydroxy acid, to name just a few of the many helpful ingredients it contains. So this goes further than simply moisturizing the skin. One tester tried it on older stretch marks and found it to be really effective. Of course they didn’t make them disappear, but there was a really impressive reduction in appearance. Another tester tried it on scars that were a bit more recent and that also gave nice results. From what we’ve seen, it does seem believable that this cream could prevent the formation of stretch marks altogether. Now if only they could come up with a product this effective for cellulite…
November 21st, 2013
Finally cool nail art that will work for the impatient and manicure skill challenged. Sally Hansen’s Magnetic Nail Color doesn’t require any design work at all. And it’s actually easier to use than stickers since you just brush the polish on. When you hover the magnet (included) over your polished nail, you get a really cool wavy pattern.
Tip: Put a very thin coat on first, then the 2nd coat has to be thick as the directions specify. If you don’t, the magnetic pattern won’t be as pronounced or won’t turn up at all.
November 19th, 2013
The more blendable a concealer, the better. We tried CoverGirl’s concealer which contains a hydrating Olay serum. It goes on very smoothly, no dragging. It’s especially great for the eye area and has the opacity needed to cover dark circles. And since it has the Olay serum, you don’t have to worry about it settling into fine lines and wrinkles. In general, we thought it was a great buy.
Tip: Put concealer on underneath your foundation. That way you’ll have a more blended look.
November 18th, 2013
Can you ever have too much body scrub? Enter to be one of ten St. Grape winners just in time for the holidays! The scrub is valued at $20 and you have until Dec. 11 to enter. For your chance to win, just go to the Amber Norell blog. Good luck!